Sunday, January 17, 2010

Les Diablerets!


Les Diablerets!



Ski run map


A view of the lift


On our way up!


Cheese fondue lunch



Mark and I at the top of the mountain!


Back down we go!

What is there to do when everything in Switzerland is closed on Sundays? How about a snow day?!! Mark and I made our way up to Les Diablerets today, a mountain town and ski resort not too far from Lausanne! Some fun facts about Les Diablerets: it is a mountain village located in the Vaudoises Alps; it has a Glacier at the top (at 3000 meters) and offers a variety of snow sports in the winter! It is approximately 1 1/2 hours from Lausanne by train. We reached our destination via Aigle, from which you switch to a mountain train.

Our original goal for today was to go sledding, known as "sledging" in Switzerland. Les Diablerets is well known for their 7.2 km sledge run down the mountain. However, once we reached the town, we found out that the sledge run was closed today! Uh oh! That didn't stop us from having a fun day though! We went and watched (mostly kids) go sledding down a small hill at the bottom of the mountain....kids truly have no fear! I have never been sledding before and I must admit that I thought it looked a little scary! I'm not sure how I am going to do going down the mountain on a sled, but I would like to go back and try one day! LOL!

A few of the ski/snowboarding runs were open, so we decided to take the chairlift to the top of the mountain and eat lunch at the restaurant. (Throwing snowballs at each other also occurred through out the day!!) The chairlift alone was an experience for me, as it was my very first time riding one. I was gripping Mark's arm on the way up, but I have to say that the views offered from that ride were absolutely beautiful! Now that I have experienced it, it won't be so bad with skis or a snowboard attached to me next time! We reached the top and ate a yummy cheese fondue lunch at Les Mazots. After lunch, we watched some of the skiers and snowboarders take off down the mountain. Then we took the chairlift back down the mountain!

My very first trip to a ski resort was awesome! I can't wait to get some gear and make an attempt at skiing or snowboarding!

1 comment: